Saturday, April 2, 2011

Where are The Plans?

[/Vader voice]

For the past ‘seems like forever’ I’ve been working for a big company.  For now I’ll just refer to it as That Big Company.  Or just ‘work.’  At That Big Company I spend my days sitting in front of a computer from 0dark:30 until far too late.  I’m a mechanical designer and CAD draftsman.  There are a couple of patents at the USPTO with my name on them and several more applications on file.  All are from my work for That Big Company.

I’ve been doing this kind of work for the better part of three decades now.

This ties in to The Guilded Cage in that I have the skills and software available even here at home to do fairly decent CAD work. 

Now the software I use at work is not available here at home.  But SolidWorks the company that makes the high end 3D CAD software I use at work also makes a 2D CAD program that you can download for free.  That’s what I’m running here at home.

In that 2D program, DraftSight they call it, you can import bitmap graphics onto what they call a reference layer.  With that you can create a pretty good CAD drawing from a fairly poor quality scanned image.  And it’s scalable.  You can even measure and dimension drawings you create this way.

So that’s what I’ve been working on these past several evenings.  Creating a detailed plan of what I want The Guilded Cage to become.  I’ll be sharing the plans here after we lock in the P&S.

The more I get into it the more potential I see.

1 comment:

HerrBGone said...

Just a biref note to update that to Three (3) patents with my name on them. :-) Just got the memo on the third this morning.